article-img

Carlos Sainz: Williams Reveals When They First Made Contact

8 months ago By Sports Desk

James Vowles, the head of Williams, revealed that the first contact with Carlos Sainz about a potential move to the team was made during the 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Williams announced on Monday that Sainz would join them on a multi-year deal starting in 2025, following Ferrari’s decision to replace the Spaniard with Lewis Hamilton, who is leaving Mercedes.

The First Contact

During a virtual media call, Vowles explained that the conversation with Sainz began well before any official announcement about his departure from Ferrari. “The conversation started many months ago,” said Vowles. “It wasn’t just weeks, as some may have perceived due to public disclosures, but it actually started back in Abu Dhabi last year.”

Vowles emphasized that Sainz was always Williams’ primary target. “There was only one driver I spoke to in Abu Dhabi last year, and it was Carlos, to be completely clear. I didn’t diversify; I went straight for the driver I thought would make the difference.”

Impact of Williams’ Performance

Vowles also mentioned that he hoped Williams’ rise to seventh in the F1 Constructors’ Championship last season would help persuade Sainz to join the team. However, he admitted that a tough start to 2024, with an overweight car, initially “stung” Williams. “I thought, for complete transparency, that we wouldn’t have the weight on the car. If we had been in scoring positions every weekend, I actually think it would have been a more difficult choice for him if Ferrari were more unstable, which I didn’t know,” Vowles said.

Surprise at Hamilton’s Move

Vowles also revealed that he was completely surprised by Hamilton’s move from Mercedes to Ferrari. “When Lewis was announced, I had no idea at all. I knew Lewis had his heart set there eventually, but I also knew the end of that deal because I was part of it, and I was knocked off my chair the day that happened.”

Conclusion

Vowles’ revelation highlights the meticulous planning behind Williams’ acquisition of Carlos Sainz. The team was clearly focused on Sainz as their top choice, anticipating challenges and adjusting their strategies over time. Sainz’s decision to join Williams marks a new chapter for the team and reflects their ambitions and potential for future growth.

As the team prepares to welcome Sainz in 2025, the recruitment process and surprises in the driver market continue to shape the Formula 1 landscape, promising an exciting and transformative season ahead.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
More Recommendations
Unlock a World of Endless Discoveries: Your Personalized Recommendation Engine
article-image

The Mexican Grand Prix in 2023 was a rollercoaster of emotions, with breathtaking highs and heart-wrenching lows. As the Formula… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

The roar of engines, the smell of burning rubber, and the adrenaline-pumping action on the track can only mean one… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

Marc Márquez, one of the greatest names in motorcycle racing history, is facing a new phase in his career as… Read More

7 months ago Sports Desk
article-image

The excitement is building as the MotoGP world descends upon the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia for the Malaysian Grand… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

Álex Palou, the Chip Ganassi Racing driver who recently clinched his second IndyCar championship in Portland, has taken an unconventional… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

Miguel Oliveira has confirmed that he is in “very positive negotiations” with Yamaha to join the Pramac team in MotoGP… Read More

7 months ago Sports Desk
Stories Going Viral
Unleashing the Power of Stories
article-image

Zarco Wins His Maiden MotoGP Title, Bagnaia Extends The Title Lead in the world of MotoGP, every race is a… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

 As the anticipation builds for the 2023 MotoGP Australian Grand Prix at the iconic Phillip Island circuit, it’s crucial to… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

Luca Marini, who is currently in the first year of a two-year contract with Repsol Honda, has made it clear… Read More

8 months ago Sports Desk
article-image

News of Lewis Hamilton’s surprise move to Ferrari has sent shockwaves through the Formula 1 world, but now an insider’s… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

“We are very excited to welcome Johann to the LCR Honda Castrol team with all the respective details and signatures… Read More

1 years ago Sports Desk
article-image

MotoGP youngster Pedro Acosta is in negotiations to sign a major new contract with KTM. The rising star, who has… Read More

10 months ago Sports Desk
Join Our Exclusive Newsletter and Stay in the Loop!
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x